Friday, August 8, 2014

Summer of Untrieds Week 4

I apologize for the lack of posts this week, but I've been battling some sort of bug that's had me down for the past two or three days.  That being said, let's get back to the Summer of Untrieds Challenge.  This will be my last post for this fun little challenge, so I hope you've enjoyed this as much as I have!  Let's get to it!

Here are the prompts and the rules:


Rules:

  • Use at least 1 untried polish that fits with the prompt for the day.
  • If you don't have anything that works with the prompt, then consider it a free day and choose a random untried from your stash.
  • There won't be an inlinkz, so keep up with the group by tagging your photos #summerofuntrieds.  I've also been including #julyuntriedchallenge in my posts, so you can add that too if you want.  Also, feel free to add a tag to me if you'd like (either @blueeyedlawyer or #wishesofablueeyedgirl).
  • Start crossing off those untrieds in your stash!
[I purchased these polishes or received them as gifts from friends.]

Day 23: Micro Glitter


I decided to do skittles with my micro glitters instead of just picking one.  I picked (from thumb to pinkie): Lynnderella Yes to Know Love, Smitten Oncoming Storm, Lynnderella Thrill Ride, Lynnderella One Hot Summer Night, and Lynnderella Carnivale de Glitterati.  All of the Lynns are colored glitters in clear bases that built into full opacity within two coats.  They all required a coat of Peita's Polish Glitter Glaze and a layer of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  The Smitten, however, was small silver glitters in a deep blue base.  It took three coats to reach full opacity, and I again needed to use two coats of topcoat for a smooth finish.  You can purchase LE Lynnderellas at their store here, and you can purchase Smittens here.

Day 24: Holographic


I have a million holographics that need to be worn, so I decided to go with three harder to find ones that have just been collecting dust since I purchased them.  All three come from Enchanted Polish - Engineered to Destroy, Keep Watch, and Dream On.  I did a gradient on my accent nails of Dream On and Keep Watch, which are both purple holos without any added shimmer or shifts.  Application and cleanup on those were easy for a gradient, which was great, and I really liked the outcome.  Engineered to Destroy is a truly special polish.  It reminds me a lot of Dollish Polish Toxic Avenger in that it has this crazy gold / red / green shift in a black holographic base.  But there was just something a little different about it.  I guess it was more black than gold or brown, so it's definitely not a dupe for TA.  All three only required one coat of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  You can only purchase Engineered to Destroy and Keep Watch at the Mishka store as they were store exclusives.  I have no idea if they'll ever be back.  You can purchase Dream On from Nail Polish Canada, but again, it has an infrequent restock and is uber hard to snag when it is restocked.

Day 25: Zoya


I only have a small handful of untried Zoyas, so I went with two that didn't look too bad together - Carter and Seraphina.  Carter is from their Pixie Dust line and is a lovely purple textured polish.  I used three coats with two coats of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  I really like the look of this with a glossy finish instead of just the normal textured finish.  Seraphina is a silvery grey shimmer that took three coats to reach opacity and only one coat of topcoat.  You can purchase Zoyas at most beauty supply stores.

Day 26: Grey


For greys, I used NerdLacquer Don't Blink and Pahlish Romance topped with Elevation Polish Bromance. Unfortunately, all three of these polishes are really hard to find.  NerdLacquer sort of fell off of the face of the earth, and the Pahlish/EVP duo was a limited edition.  Don't Blink (named for my all time favorite episode and baddie from Doctor Who) is a light grey polish with silver, white, and gun metal grey glitters.  This shows three coats with one coat of topcoat.  The glitters on this polish are sinkers, so you have to flip it upside down between layers.  Romance is a darker grey with rainbow micro flakies.  The topper, Bromance, has a scattered holographic effect and is packed with white glitters with larger red to green shifting flakes.  You can find NerdLacquers on blog sales, Pahlish at her shop, and Elevation at her shop.

Day 27: Matte


Initially, I chose to wear Sinful Black Cherry, a vampy matte (or leather effect?) red polish, for this day's challenge.  But it was just so boring alone that I had to add on something fun.  That being said, I chose to top Black Cherry with Lynnderella Billet Doux, which was one of my hugest lemmings that I was soooo happy to squash about a month ago!  I mattified the mani using NYC's Matte topcoat.  Black Cherry is two coats that were a bit streaky, but a third coat would've given it a nice finish.  I chose to only do two coats, though, because I knew I was going to top it with a glitter.  I used one coat of Billet Doux, one coat of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top to make it dry faster, and then topped it with my matte topcoat.  You can buy Sinfuls at Rite Aid and Walgreens.

Day 28: Shimmer


Again, I get really bored with wearing just one color at a time.  Plus, I was really trying hard to fit in as many untrieds into this month as I possibly could.  That being said, I decided to pair a shimmer polish, Arcane Lacquer Locked in Limbo, with a glitter that also has a strong shimmer, Lynnderella Blue Rogue.  Limbo is three coats with one coat of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  Blue Rogue shows three coats ALONE without undies with a coat of Gelous and a coat of KBShimmer's Clearly on Top.  You can purchase Arcane Lacquers here.

Day 29: Rainbow Honey

I wore an unnamed sample and Annual Emotion, and I used this mani as last week's Red Coat Tuesday!  Go and check out the full review here.

Day 30: Thermals



I only have three untried thermals, and one is most definitely a Halloween polish, so I went with the other two for this mani - Digital Nails Lying and Pretty & Polished Dollipop.  Both show three coats with one coat of KBShimmer Clearly on Top.  Lying probably could've been done with just two coats, but I chose to do three for my photos.  The main problem I had with the P&P was that, when warm, you could see bald spots in the lighter royal blue that you couldn't see in the colder blurple.  The changes were very reactive and would change fairly easily.  Sadly, however, I couldn't get very good photos of the transition.  You can purchase Digital Nails here and Pretty & Polished here.

Day 31: Foil or Chrome


For the last day, I decided to go a different direction than I had originally planned.  I was going to use some of the Essie Mirror Metallics, but I decided instead to use Enchanted Polish Purple Roses and Elevation Polish Silversword.  I used three coats of Purple Roses, and it went on easily and spread evenly.  Removal was a bit of a pain because the small particles are a bit like glitter, so it got all over the place when I tried to scrub it off (and scrub indeed I did do).  Silversword was almost fully opaque in one coat, but I used two for my photos.  Again, application was really easy, and removal for Silversword was much easier than PR.  There is some glow-in-the-dark pigment in Silversword, but it wasn't very reactive for me.  Granted, I didn't intentionally go out of my way to see how well it worked.  Purple Roses has been long discontinued, but you can purchase Enchanted Polishes at her store here.

So, there we have it!  The end of a month full of fun and lots and lots of new manis! What do you think?  Did you like following along with this challenge?  Would you like to do another one?  Let me know what you think in the comments!

[I purchased these polishes or received them as gifts from friends.]

No comments:

Post a Comment